Nutritionists and generally 'healthy people' harp on the fact that what we eat may be making us sick. Proven over and over, grease, fat, and sugar does a great job of clogging our arteries, making diabetes a prominent disease, increasing obesity at alarming rates, and making us sick in many other ways. There are many nutritional antioxidant foods that actually rid the body of toxins and clean our systems- and make our bodies healthier if they become a regular part of our daily diets.
Which foods hold the most antioxidants and which foods are the most nutritional? Which foods are the master antioxidants? There are several foods that experts recognize as being most helpful to our bodies. Here are a list of a few that should be considered when wanting to add nutritional antioxidants to our diet.
Antioxidants minimize cell damage which may lead to disease and organ failure, as well as cancer. These foods can keep cells healthy and the immune system strong.
1) Grapes- Purple, Red, or Blue. Darker grapes are loaded withphytochemicals, which are antioxidants that help protect against cancer. They are also extremely good for your immune system, and contain Vitamin C.
2) Blueberries are one of the most powerful antioxidant foods you can find. Blueberries can help protect the body's cells from damage and inflammation. Blueberries are also known for strengthening the immune system, and protecting the body from cancer and heart disease. Blueberries add fiber to your diet daily, all the while protecting you from disease. Whether you eat blueberries in your smoothie or just fresh, it's a good idea to eat some every day. They are a wonderful fuel for the body.
3) Red Berries are known to haveellagic acid which is known to tackle cancer causing agents in the environment. Raspberries, strawberries, cherries and cranberries are all considered to be in this group of red berries.
4) Nuts are one of the most nutritional well-balanced foods in the world. Offering only the most 'health fats' along with proteins and minerals-different nuts offer different minerals. Walnuts, for example, are high in Omega 3, while peanuts are high in protein. Many nuts contain nutrients which lower cholesterol as well.
5) Dark Green Vegetables are a wonderful super food and they offer loads of nutrients. Kale, broccoli and spinach are some of the most nutritionally packed foods in the world. All kinds of disease fighting nutrients can be found in these dark vegetables, like vitamins D, C, A, calcium, magnesium as well as potassium. They also have wonderful cancer fighting abilities and strong antioxidants. When making a fruit smoothie, it's always a good idea to throw in a handful of kale and spinach. You won't even know they are there by tasting the smoothie, but they are adding a huge benefit and kick to your daily drink!
6) Sweet Potatoes and orange vegetables like carrots, squash, turnips and others are packed with nutritious vitamins and minerals. Sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries are working their way on menus across America. Sweet potatoes have an overwhelming amount of Vitamin A and calcium, as well as vitamins C and B6. Other orange vegetables are chalk full of antioxidants with overwhelming amounts of Vitamin A.
7) Tea is a super food with antioxidants that help fight cancer as well as inflammation. Green tea containscatechin epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is an extremely powerful antioxidant. When health experts advise people to drink lots of green tea, it is for this reason.
8) Whole grains have been a controversial subject in the health world. Many people are cutting gluten (bread) from their diets and restricting their carbs. Whole grains however, are an essential part of the super food hierarchy. Research shows that people who east at least one serving of whole grains a day have lower risk of heart attacks and stroke- whether it be brown rice or whole grain bread. Whole grains are packed full of zinc which fends off heart disease.
9) Beans might be known as the 'magical fruit' but the amount of fiber in beans is so good for the digestive system. Black beans offer a great amount of folate which is what women who are trying to become pregnant need. Soybeans are a great source of vitamin C, zinc, and calcium. Beans really are one of the best antioxidants because they pack so many vitamins and minerals.
10) Fish is a super food and is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. A popular vitamin is 'Fish Oil' which gives people a dose of these omega 3 fatty acids daily. Omega 3 can help prevent heart disease and inflammation. Why not eat the real thing instead of taking the vitamins? Fish is delicious, low in fat, and it tastes terrific- and it can be prepared in countless ways. White fish and salmon are particularly nutritional.
Along with the list above, remember that fresh organic green leafy vegetables are full of phytochemicals (plant compounds that act as antioxidants in your body). Fruits are also wonderful antioxidants- and not just the red and blueberries. Keep the nuts in mind- and don't be shy to throw a few into a daily smoothie, especially almonds. Oats provide a natural way to keep your skin balanced and your digestive system healthy. Also- remember that herbs and spices contain a lot of antioxidants- there are too many to mention.
Remember to drink plenty of water and add a twist of lemon to your water to help break down the foods in your system and keep you slim, energized- and also add a little citrus taste to your water. Lime will work as well- and will boost your immune system and give you energy.
Keep in mind- although it's been said many times and it can sound extremely annoying, we truly are what we eat. Everything from your shape, your weight, your skin and your smile will reflect whether or not you take care of yourself, or whether or not you don't. No one likes feeling gross- so we CAN take control and eat healthy, vitamin packed foods that will cleanse our system and make us feel fantastic!